Girl Scouts Heart of the Hudson and YWCA Orange County recently announced the names of the 2011 Tribute to Women of Achievement of Orange County honorees at a press conference held at Glen Arden at Elant in Goshen. Now in its 19th year, the Tribute awards honor women in Orange County who have made a difference to our community in their professional, personal, or school-based activities. The award is jointly sponsored by the Girl Scouts and YWCA Orange County.
Attending the press conference were staff, board members, and volunteers from both organizations, as well as honorees, Tribute alumni, community leaders, and Glen Arden staff who turned out to show their support for a fellow employee being recognized.
Donna Cornell, Tribute co-chair, announced the names of the 2011 Tribute honorees:
• Arts: Donna Hall, Walden, NY School of Music and Rock Camp USA
• Business: Trish Fisher, Stormville, Greater Newburgh YMCA
• Communications: Cecille Jones, Monroe, Orange & Rockland Utilities
• Health & Human Services: Maureen Torelli, Goshen, Glen Arden
• Public Service: Karen Van Houten Minogue, Highlands, Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan
• Education: Florence Blueglass Hannes, Monroe, SUNY Orange
• Woman of the Future: Aisling Cuffe, Cornwall, Cornwall High School
• Bobbie A. Lahey Memorial Award for Volunteer Services: Dr. Michelle Winchester-Vega, Newburgh/New Windsor
“It gives me great pleasure to recognize our 2011 Orange County Women of Achievement,” said Donna Cornell. “Each year, the Selection Committee takes on the difficult job of reviewing and evaluating each one of the nominations we receive,” Cornell continued. “The eight women recognized today truly excel in their personal and professional commitment to our community.”
“As a Tribute alumnae, I’m so proud to welcome the newest members to this very distinguished group of outstanding women of Orange County,” added Cornell. “I applaud your achievements and encourage you to keep up the great work. Congratulations.”
Nearly 190 women from throughout Orange County have been recognized since the award’s inception in 1992.
This year’s Tribute to Women honorees will be recognized at the Annual Tribute to Women of Achievement Dinner to be held on May 11, 2011 at Anthony’s Pier 9. For information about dinner sponsorships, congratulatory journal ads, or dinner reservations, contact YWCA Orange County at 845.561.8050, ext. 11.